sábado, 10 de abril de 2010

Ají Dulce (Sweet Pepper)

Have you ever tried Venezuelan food before?, If you have, then you know that particular taste it have, if you haven't, then this is the entry for you (if you want to know more about the wonderful Venezuelan food).

This are Ajíes Dulces (Sweet Pepper)
Don't they look pretty? Like tiny little peppers, and they actually are... They have a particular taste, and they actually aren't that spicy, and I've heard about those tiny little bombs out there that just cut your tongue, and the rule about peppers are usually true: The smaller they are, they use to be hotter, and spicier, so keep that in mind, and don't mixed this kind with the hotter one... they are very similar, and take that from someone with experience (yes, me... burnt my mouth, even my lips with a tiny little chili).

So, how come Venezuelans love this kind of pepper to cook?
Actually, I have no idea... And I can't really say why it is so common in the market, and you kind find this in every single house, but I can swear it has an important reason.

Some wise guy told me once, that If I wanted to know a city, I had to go to their market. And I've been going to the market with my dad since I was a little kid... He showed me how to select vegetables, fruits, herbs, and everything you might need to cook (He even taught me to pick fish, meat and chicken), And I always noticed that in the popular markets; besides you have to wake up at 4 am, to be there at 5am and get the good stuff; there is always tons and tons of Sweet Peppers, and most people always bought at least a dozen. That actually indicates that they cook using a lot this particular ingredient, but don't get me wrong... they don't use it like an actual ingredient... they use it like a Condiment!!! In soups, stews, gravy, sause, grills, everything!

Soon I'll post a recipe about this... I promise!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario